The Six Requirements You Need to Qualify for the Caregiver Program in Canada

November 9, 2014 Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Google+ Our Blog

Welcome to CanadaLive-in caregivers are individuals who are qualified to provide care for children, elderly persons or persons with disabilities in private homes without supervision. You must meet certain requirements to be eligible for the Live‑in Caregiver Program in Canada.

1. A positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from an employer in Canada

Before hiring you, your employer must:

  • apply to Employment and Social Development Canada / Service Canada (ESDC/SC) to have his or her suggested job offer reviewed; and
  • receive a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) from ESDC/SC.

ESDC/SC will assess your employer’s job offer and the employment contract to be sure that it meets the requirements for wages and working conditions and the provincial labour and employment standards, and that there are not enough Canadians or permanent residents available to work as live-in caregivers in Canada. If ESDC/SC finds the job offer acceptable, they will issue a positive LMIA to your employer.

2. A written contract with your future employer, signed by you and the employer

You and your future employer are legally required to sign a written employment contract. You must submit the signed contract with your work permit application. This must be the same employment contract submitted to ESDC/SC by your employer, unless you provide an explanation of any changes (for example, a new start date).

The written employment contract will ensure there is a fair working arrangement between you and your employer.

3. Successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school education

You must have successfully completed the equivalent of Canadian high school education (secondary school). Because of the differences in school systems across Canada, it is not possible to give a precise number of years. In most provinces, it takes 12 years of schooling to obtain a Canadian high school diploma. The immigration officer assessing your application will let you know what is needed.

4. At least six months’ training or at least one year of full-time paid work experience as a caregiver or in a related field or occupation (including six months with one employer) in the past three years

To claim work experience, you need to have worked for one year, including at least six months of continuous employment for the same employer. This work experience must be in a field or occupation specific to what you will do as a live-in caregiver. This experience must have been acquired within the three years immediately before the day on which you make an application for a work permit as a caregiver.

To claim training, it must have been full-time training in a classroom setting. Areas of study could be early childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid.

5. Good knowledge of English or French

You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French so that you can function on your own in your employer’s home. For example, you must be able to call emergency services if they are needed, and to understand labels on medication. You will be unsupervised for most of the day and may have to communicate with someone outside the home. You can also read and understand your rights and obligations if you can function in English or French.

6. A work permit before you enter Canada

To participate in the Live-in Caregiver Program, you must make an application for an initial live-in caregiver work permit at a visa office outside Canada.

If your application is successful, you will receive a letter of introduction from the Canadian visa office responsible for your area. You will need to present this letter to the Border Services Officer upon arrival in Canada in order to obtain your work permit.


  1. Jasmin Danao said on November 10, 2014 10:28 pm:

    Hi! All requirements i have eccept LMIA no employer or no sponsorship yet. Please help me to have. Thank you!

  2. image
    admin said on November 10, 2014 11:01 pm:

    Hello Jasmin,

    We do not hire caregivers directly but we are pleased to facilitate in connecting you with families and employers here in Canada.

    First of all, you can create your profile for potential employers to contact you. It’s free for caregivers and here is the link:

  3. jovy said on November 11, 2014 7:50 am:

    How many months is the processing for LMIA?thanks…

  4. ann said on November 11, 2014 10:37 am:

    Hi I graduated Highschool in New York and went to college for 1semester. Can I qualify?
    Is it ok for a relative to sponsor as a nanny?
    thank you

  5. conchita nanalis said on April 10, 2015 1:14 am:

    thanks for the imformation for all this …cani ask where i can apply for a caregiver in canada because im working in israel for 15 years untill now in one employer and i would like to come and work in canada / thank you for your assistant to reply for my question and help .

  6. eileen said on April 12, 2015 11:38 am:

    Hi,I went to school in the Philippines 6yrs.elementary and highschool and have so many experience in Hong Kong …am I qualified to apply as a caregiver in Canada if someone’s wants to hire me?

  7. marian said on April 18, 2015 10:36 am:

    Hi. I graduated nursing and I finished 6 months caregiver and pass the NC 2 of tesda

  8. Florence said on April 18, 2015 11:50 pm:

    how to apply with this opportunity.,where to send the requirements as well.

  9. leah crispe said on July 30, 2015 11:55 am:

    im 46 years old im working as a caregiver here in phil 4 years one employer,, i past NC2 tesda.. please help me how can apply to work in canada. thank you

  10. Jaycel said on July 30, 2015 12:04 pm:

    Hi ma’am/sir,
    I just want to inquire about how to get connected with this or how to find a nanny job in Canada I really interested to apply. I hope I can get a response regarding this. Thank you very much and God bless.


  11. LARRY said on July 30, 2015 2:12 pm:

    SERVICE CANADA does not know that Caregivers for Children are an allowable category. Most of our Caregiver for Children LMIA applications are declined because the Employer has not submitted documents for a high medical needs client, which is not a category that the Employer applied for.

  12. Keshari kc karki said on July 30, 2015 2:50 pm:

    Hi i did bachelor’s degree,montessori training,i have 6 years kindergarten teaching experience so can i apply for this job. If i can how please help me

  13. Jessica C. Cadorna said on July 30, 2015 3:57 pm:

    Hi, I have been a caregiver or nanny and even a tutor in Singapore and HOngkong before and I have a certification for completing the course of first aid for children. And now I am here in France working as nanny and housekeeping. I have very good experienced in taking care of new born babies and up to growing up children. Please help me how can apply to work in Canada. Thank you so much

  14. thelma k.patulin said on July 31, 2015 5:58 am:

    hi, im thelma k.patulin im working as a caregiver in the phils.nw im x abroad also.i hav 72 units in college and im a caregiver graduate also.i want to apply in canada as caregiver pls.hire me.

  15. Annalyn Lacasandeli Pascua said on August 4, 2015 6:17 am:

    Good day:Ma’am/Sir,
    I am Annalyn L. Pascua,from General Santos City(Philippines).
    I am interested to apply in Canada as Caregiver.I fineshed vocational college (2)yrs.Nursing Aide,(2)yrs.Hotel and Restaurant Management.
    My experience are:
    Domectic Helper in kuwait city(2006-2008)
    Fonti coffee Shop,General Santos City(2010-2013)
    Caretaker in Taiwan(2014 until present)
    I finesh my contract on March 14,2016.I have a half paralized patient her,i take good care of him.
    I hope your consederation.Please advice me.Thank you and God bless.

  16. Paula said on September 29, 2015 8:49 pm:

    I have acted as my grandmother’s caregiver for about 3 years now, does working for a relative still count as experience??

  17. Luiza Mitchell said on December 15, 2015 6:27 pm:

    I worked as an English Teacher at a English Class Private Course for a year, does it count as the needed experience to be able to get the work permit?

  18. Frank said on January 2, 2016 4:08 am:

    I have a caregiver here in the Philippines. I have to return to Canada for medical reasons. How can I bring my caregiver with me? Or, send for here when I am in Canada?

    1. image
      admin said on January 3, 2016 2:12 am:

      Hi Frank, I think your best bet is to sponsor your caregiver through the Caregiver Program.

  19. jesusa atadero said on January 11, 2016 2:27 pm:

    Hi I would like to apply as a caregiver. I have 5 years caregiving experienced in saudi arabia. Thank you.

  20. Ma. Jesusa L. Co said on February 18, 2016 7:30 am:

    Hello,i would to apply as a caregiver in canada, i am now working here in singapore for 2 years taking care of two elderly..i hope you coukd give me a feedback on how to apply in canada thank you

  21. nilda samaro sambas said on July 13, 2016 6:40 am:

    hello admin, Im a graduate of a 2 year course and I have 82 units . If I am qualified, how much will be my expenses? Will that be shouldered by the employer or will it be my personal expense? Thank you.

  22. Lanomay Phillips said on February 24, 2017 11:48 pm:

    Hello, I am interested in a Caregiver for the Elderly job. I have all the necessary requirements. I finished high school, worked for the government for thirty-two and one/third years and now retired. I have a five month certificate in Caring for the Elderly and I have more than two years experience. I can bathe, cook, do laundry, prepare meals, assist in grooming, ensure medications are taken on time, companionship and much more as the situation requires. I love to care for persons to make them happy. I love this job. You would not regret hiring me. I would take very good care of your loved one. I am from Guyana, South America.

  23. Hazel said on March 17, 2017 5:14 pm:

    I have a daughter in the Phils.who is a Registered Nurse and has a Caregiver certificate but she has no experience taking care of children. I have a prospective employer for her in Canada. Can she apply as a Live in Caregiver without an experience? Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.

  24. Bernadette said on June 10, 2017 3:04 am:

    hello I just wanna like to asked if you are only secondary graduate and has nc2 cert.and got training on the private caregiving school ,and 4years DH at Singapore,is it possible to apply working as a caregiver in Canada?Thank you in advance

  25. Analou Nael said on October 9, 2017 12:14 pm:

    Hi I’m Analou Bael I’m qualified that requiresment Im really happy to work in canada I also a caregiver but now I’m here in Singapore as a caregivers any body help me or sponsor with me thank yoy

  26. Cindy said on November 28, 2017 2:48 pm:

    Hello, My name is Cindy. I have over 9 years experience as Care Assistant working in the UK for a single employer. I have NVQ level 3 certification in Health & Social for Adults. Right now I have migrated to India as I got married to Indian husband. Kindly let me know what are my chances to apply for Care Assistant job in Canada?

  27. Marichu B. Montejo said on February 9, 2018 1:07 am:

    What is your age requirement. I’m 60, still wanted to worked as caregiver, recentlly retired as school nurse here in the Philippines just this January 1, 2018. I undergone 6 months live in caregiver training program for Canada wayback in 2001, but then maintained my employment here to watch over my children until finishing their college education. Can I have a chance this time now that I am 60 years old?….Thank you.