How To Apply As A Temporary Foreign Worker In Canada

August 21, 2015 Our Blog

Come to CanadaTo apply as a Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) in Canada, you must follow these steps to apply for a work permit.

1. Determine if you will apply online or on paper

Apply online

You must have:

  • access to a scanner or camera to make electronic copies of your documents to upload, and
  • a valid credit card to pay with.

Apply on paper

Follow steps 2 to 5 below.

Note for IEC applicants: If you are an applicant under the International Experience Canada program, you can only submit your work permit application online. Paper applications will not be accepted.

2. Get the documents from your employer

Before you apply for a work permit, you will need:

  • the positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) your employer received from Employment and Social Development Canada and your job offer, or
  • a copy of the Offer of Employment form (PDF, 1.18 MB) submitted by your employer and a copy of the fee receipt the employer received when they paid an employer compliance fee to Citizenship and Immigration Canada if you do not need an LMIA and you are not applying for an open work permit, and
  • proof that you meet the requirements of the job, such as:
    • proof of education, or
    • work experience.

3. Get the application package

The instruction guide has instructions on how to fill out the application. It also tells you which documents you will need to submit to get your work permit.

There are different ways to apply for a work permit, depending on where you apply from:

  • inside Canada
  • outside Canada, or
  • as you enter Canada.

Find out the requirements for where to apply in order to choose the best option for you.

Passport and entry into Canada

To work in Canada, you must meet the requirements for a work permit. You may also need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) or a visitor visa, depending on your nationality. The eTA or visa will be issued at the same time as your work permit. You do not need to make a separate application or pay an additional fee.

4. Pay the application fees

In many countries, you can pay the fee in the local currency. More information about this and the payment methods available to you can be found by visiting the pay your fees tool.

Please note that if you apply on paper at a VAC, you will have to pay the VAC services fees. These fees are not included in your CIC application fees.

5. Submit your application

Families should send their applications in one package to the location where the principal applicant will be processed (based on their type of application).


August 21, 2015

All of the above is true, ON PAPER. But the reality is that the LMIA system is not working. SERVICE CANADA rejects a very large percentage of LMIA applications. The majority of LMIA applications that my agency has submitted have been rejected for invalid reasons. Service Canada is rejecting applications for categories of eligibility that the client did not even apply for. Because of this disaster we have to get out of the LMIA business. I know other Caregiver Agencies which will stop submitting LMIA applications for the same reason. THE SYSTEM IS NOT WORKING.