no image

Getting Your Education Assessed Under The Caring For People With High Medical Needs Program

December 20, 2014 Our Blog

You must get an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an organization approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) if you:

  • are the principal applicant, and
  • got your educational credential outside Canada.

An ECA is used to check that your completed foreign educational credential is valid and equal to a completed post-secondary education credential of at least one year in Canada. This can be a degree, diploma, certificate or other proof of your education.

You do not need an ECA if you have a completed Canadian post-secondary education credential of at least one year.

When you apply with a completed foreign educational credential, you must include an original ECA report along with proof of your completed foreign credential.

The report must:

  • be issued on or after the date the organization was approved by CIC,
  • be less than five years old on the date that CIC gets your application, and
  • show that your completed foreign credential is equal to a completed Canadian post-secondary one of at least one year.

Your application will not be processed if you do not submit this assessment when you apply. Your application will be sent back to you.