Find Out About The New Language Requirement Under The Caring For People With High Medical Needs Of The Caregivers Program

December 20, 2014 Our Blog

Language RulesYou must prove your language skills in English or French by taking a language test approved by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

You must

  • schedule your test with an agency approved by CIC and pay the fees,
  • compare your test results to the charts below to see what Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) level you have, and
  • if you meet the minimum levels for your job, include the original test results when you apply (photocopies are not acceptable).
    • Note: Your test results must be less than two years old when you apply.

Your application will not be processed if you do not include these results. It will be sent back to you.

Please note that you cannot ask for your language test results to be sent directly to CIC.

Approved Language tests

You can take any of the following approved language tests.

Note: Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada (LINC) centres are not approved testing agencies for people who apply through the Caring for People with High Medical Needs Pathway.

English (Take 1 or 2)

  1. CELPIP: Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program:CELPIP has three tests. You must take the “CELPIP-G 2014” test.
  2. IELTS: International English Language Testing System:IELTS has two options for the reading and writing tests. You must take the “General Training” test.


TEF: Test d’évaluation de français (French only)

You must submit results from these TEF tests as proof of your French language skills:

  • compréhension de l’écrit
  • compréhension de l’orale
  • expression écrite
  • expression orale